Use your Skillsfuture credits for this course!
In business, in the workplace, and in our personal lives, we all stand to benefit from more effective communication skills. Writing is essential to communicate your message clearly and professionally and to incite action in those who you supervise, work with and require action from.
Many in the workforce today struggle with the basics of writing including grammar, spelling and punctuation and this is what can hold them back and reduce their confidence when it comes to business documents. The style and skills required for formal business writing are best developed by practice and experience, but with the right tools and know-how it is not hard to improve.
Who should attend?
Anyone who wants to learn the fundamentals of modern business writing.
- Understand the key differences in the different type of Business correspondence - memorandum, email and business report and etc.
- Master the skill to plan ahead to speed up your writing and to avoid common pitfalls.
- Gain the skillsets to write for more specialised documents.
- Learn to review and proofread your own reports and others
- Describe the characteristics of effective business and report writing
- What attributes of effective business and report writing did you display? Learning to use your strengths for writing more persuasively.
- Use techniques you have learned by applying them to a specific work situation.
- Review effective business report writing concepts and strategies
Course Outline - Effective Business Writing (16 hours/term)
PART 1 : DIFFERENCE STYLE OF CORRESPONDENCE
The Business Letter
Sample Letter Format:
Meeting Minutes Report
Part 2: WRITING FOR A PURPOSE
Collecting Your Thoughts with the Five Ws
Steps in Writing Workplace Documents
Writing Powerful and Engaging Sentences
Common Business Reporting Language
PART 1: EFFECTIVE EMAILS AND LETTERS
Writing Subject Lines that are clear and compelling
Grabbing the Reader’s Attention: The Lead
Comparing Chronological Writing
Getting Started in Three Easy Steps
Striving for Simplicity
Writing with Power
Using the Active Voice
Activate The Sentence
PART 2: BUSINESS REPORT
Setting the Right Tone
Taking Notes in Meeting
Taking Meeting Minutes